Author of torture memo: It's still wrong

April 6, 2012 at 2:13 PM

WASHINGTON, April 6 (UPI) -- Philip Zelikow, a top U.S. State Department official in the George W. Bush administration, says officials allowed unacceptable interrogation techniques.

Zelikow, who later served as executive director of the Sept. 11 Commission, was the author of a 2006 memo opposing the use of "enhanced interrogation techniques." While the administration ordered the destruction of all copies, a draft was released earlier this week following a Freedom of Information Act request.

In an e-mail exchange with Britain's The Guardian newspaper, Zelikow said he still believes the techniques approved under Bush were "wrong" and may have violated U.S. and international laws. He said Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice supported his position.

"I do regard the interrogation practices and conditions of confinement, taken together, as torture -- in the ordinary layman's use of this term," he told the newspaper, although he said he avoided the word "torture" because of its legal definition.

"I have sometimes just referred to 'physical torment' instead, which seems expressive and is accurate," he added.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Vatican: Pope's meeting with Kim Davis not a show of support
Potential male contraceptive found in study with mice
Cancer and height are linked, new study shows
Hacker may have exposed data of 15 million T-Mobile customers
Education Secretary Arne Duncan to step down in December