WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., April 4 (UPI) -- Investigators for the New York State child welfare agency have concluded that a member of the Kennedy family did not abuse his newborn son.
The Office of Children and Family Services notified Douglas Kennedy last week that he has been cleared, the New York Post reported. Kennedy, 45, is a broadcast journalist and son of the late Sen. Robert F. Kennedy.
Kennedy still faces misdemeanor charges of child endangerment and harassment in Westchester County for an altercation with two nurses at Northern Westchester Hospital in January. The nurses tried to stop him from taking his son outside.
But the child welfare agency said it found no evidence the newborn was at risk. The investigation was independent of any done by local police.
"We can now inform you that as a result of the assessment made by the local child-protective services, no credible evidence was found to believe that the child has been abused or maltreated. Therefore, the report has been determined 'unfounded,' " Linda Joyce, of the Division of Child Welfare and Community Services, said in a March 30 letter.
Kennedy has a court date next Wednesday.