facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Keyless-start car linked to CO deaths

March 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM   |   Comments

BOCA RATON, Fla., March 16 (UPI) -- A Mercedes with keyless ignition was the source of carbon monoxide that killed a Florida couple earlier this month, authorities said.

Adele Ridless, 69, and her boyfriend Mort Victor, 79, were found dead in their Boca Raton home March 1, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reported.

The house was filled with dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said.

Investigators found the keyless Mercedes in the garage and the car was impounded to be analyzed.

The car was not running when authorities arrived, but investigators said it could have run out of gas.

Cars with keyless entry systems have been linked to carbon monoxide deaths and injuries in at least four states. When left on, the cars produce the invisible, odorless gas which can get trapped in the garage and then leak into the attached house.

Critics say the push-button ignition makes it too easy for drivers to leave their cars on and not all models have warning systems when drivers do forget.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Great white shark circling surfers photographed by drone Great white shark circling surfers photographed by drone
2
Jessica Arrendale dies shielding daughter from boyfriend with gun Jessica Arrendale dies shielding daughter from boyfriend with gun
3
Poland buys medium-range missiles from U.S. Poland buys medium-range missiles from U.S.
4
Virgin America plane diverted after man tries to open cabin door Virgin America plane diverted after man tries to open cabin door
5
Caitlyn Kovacs' death likely 'alcohol-related,' prosecutor says Caitlyn Kovacs' death likely 'alcohol-related,' prosecutor says
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback