Officials with the Vancouver Fire Department said the renter of the single-story ranch house left the dog alone for the first time, The (Vancouver) Columbian reported Sunday.
Investigators said they believe the dog jumped up looking for food on the stove and turned the stove on, causing items on top to catch fire Saturday.
Vancouver Fire Department Capt. David James said the house is likely a total loss, with $100,000 in damage to the building and $75,000 worth of contents inside.
Police: Sword-wielding man demanded free tacos
Puzzle-maker slips 'Murdoch Is Evil' into Rupert Murdoch's Sunday Telegraph