Lajzer Grynsztajn, 50, has filed suit seeking unspecified damages against JFK Fried Chicken in the Sunset Park area of Brooklyn claiming he needed emergency surgery to remove the wire that had lodged in his throat.
"The more I think about it, I get angry," he told the New York Daily News. "I almost died for something stupid like that?"
The 11-year Metropolitan Transportation Authority veteran said he stopped by the chicken place Jan. 9, sat down and ate a meal of two chicken breasts and fries, the New York Daily News reported Monday.
"I felt a sharp pain, like I was choking," Grynsztajn said. "I thought I was choking on a bone."
He left the restaurant, started coughing up blood and wound up at Lutheran Medical Center where a doctor discovered a wire so deeply down his throat, he had to be anesthetized before the doctor could take the wire out, court documents say.
The newspaper said a man who answered the phone at JFK Fried Chicken denied the bus driver's charges saying, "I think this guy is (expletive) us," before hanging up.
Grynsztajn says he has given up on takeout food.
"I don't eat out anymore," he said.