Under a proposed emergency work order sought by the city, owners would be billed for the repairs to the 14-story building, and inspectors were sent to the site on Thursday morning, the Chicago Tribune reports.
Earlier, a blocked chimney allowed carbon monoxide levels to build, requiring heat and hot water to be shut off, the newspaper said. The property manager informed residents in a letter, saying the repairs would take two to three weeks to be completed.
The letter advised residents to buy electric space heaters, boil water to use for bathing and to "turn your oven on to supplement heat as needed."
Both residents and the Chicago Fire Department took issue with the last piece of advice, the Tribune said. Fire Department spokesman Larry Langford said, "The Fire Department is strongly against the use of an oven for primary or auxiliary heat to heat an apartment. The oven is not designed to heat a room."
Trader Joe's: Car crashes into Long Island store, injuring 11
'SNL': 'Anchorman 2' cast, One Direction sing 'Afternoon Delight' [VIDEO]