Calif., Ind., Occupy protesters get boot

Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

OAKLAND, Calif., Jan. 5 (UPI) -- Police have ordered Occupy protesters to evacuate public spaces in Oakland, Calif., and Bloomington, Ind., where they have set up tents.

About a dozen Occupy Oakland protesters were arrested Wednesday at Frank Ogawa Plaza near City Hall, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Thursday. Officers in riot gear dismantled a teepee for which the protesters were given a three-day permit Nov. 29.

City officials said protesters violated the conditions of the permit by sleeping in the plaza, distributing food, setting up trash cans and storing personal belongings.

"While the city of Oakland will continue to facilitate the expression of First Amendment rights to free speech, in the interest of public health and safety, and the public enjoyment of Frank Ogawa Plaza, unpermitted and unregulated conditions will not be allowed," the city said in a statement.

Rachel Dorney, 23, accused police of harassing protesters.

"They want people to get tired," Dorney said. "They want people to stop showing up. But we can't show the police they're winning."

Bloomington, Ind., city officials posted a public eviction notice at Peoples Park, ordering protesters to pack up their tents and leave, WTHR-TV, Indianapolis, reported Thursday.

Some Occupy protesters told the station they believe the eviction is due to a Monday scuffle that resulted in the arrests of three people.

"All of a sudden, it seems like there's been a change, and the police started arresting people for nothing," said protester Hunter Muckel. "All of a sudden, we have this eviction notice."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Greek referendum: 'No' vote leads early results, opinion polls
Russian resupply spacecraft docks onto ISS to deliver needed provisions
Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa targeted heavily in airstrikes
Maine reports first fireworks fatality since 2012 legalization
Prison escapee David Sweat returned to maximum security prison