account
search
search

Grandfather tried to save girl from fire

  |   Dec. 27, 2011 at 4:12 PM
STAMFORD, Conn., Dec. 27 (UPI) -- A man killed in a Christmas morning fire at his daughter's house in Stamford, Conn., died trying to save his three granddaughters, the fire chief said Tuesday.

Lomer Johnson's body was found on one side of a window and one young girl's body on the other, Chief Antonio Conte said in an interview with ABC News. Johnson, his wife, Pauline, and their three granddaughters were killed in the blaze that swept Madeline Badger's house at 5 a.m. Saturday.

Badger and a friend, Michael Borcina, were the only people to make it out.

Conte said the fire marshal's office has not yet determined the cause of the blaze.

Badger, who runs advertising company Badger & Winter Group, was renovating the $1.7 million house in an upscale neighborhood in Stamford. She bought the home after a divorce.

The house was torn down Monday.

"It's just a big hole, just rubble," neighbor Tina Williams told The New York Times. "That poor woman is going to lose her mind."

Topics: Christmas
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback