account
search
search

Warrant sought in disappearance of girl, 2

  |   Dec. 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM
DETROIT, Dec. 14 (UPI) -- Investigators in Detroit say they have requested a criminal warrant in the disappearance of 2-year-old Bianca Jones, missing since Dec. 2.

Neither Detroit police nor the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office identified the person named by police in their request to prosecutors. An attorney for the missing girl's father says his client was not named in the warrant, but concedes he does not know who the warrant is for, The Detroit News reported.

A police source told the newspaper Tuesday cadaver dogs have searched the home of the Bianca's father, D'Andre Lane, and found evidence, but no body was recovered.

Lane claims Bianca was in the back of his car when it was carjacked in Detroit. The girl was not in the car when police found it near the alleged carjacking scene and police have said they don't trust Lane's story.

Lane said last week he had nothing to do with Bianca's disappearance.

Prosecutor Kim Worthy's office said in a statement a decision on whether to charge the suspect was being reviewed and "there will not be any decision made this week."

"We will not comment any further regarding this matter this week," the statement said.

Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr. said the police department submitted the warrant request but would have no other comment on the warrant or the investigation, which he said "is still ongoing."

Lane's attorney, Terry L. Johnson, said Tuesday his client is not in custody and "has not been named in the warrant."

"We don't know who it's for or what the potential charges are. But we hope the prosecutor's office does a thorough examination of the evidence before they issue or deny a warrant," Johnson said.

Related UPI Stories
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
x
Feedback