UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

U.S. Mint will stop striking commemorative presidential coins to save money

  |
 
The Thomas Jefferson $1 commemorative coin introduced Aug.15, 2007. (UPI Photo/Kevin Dietsch)
The Thomas Jefferson $1 commemorative coin introduced Aug.15, 2007. (UPI Photo/Kevin Dietsch) 
License photo
Published: Dec. 13, 2011 at 2:39 PM

WASHINGTON, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden announced Tuesday the U.S. Mint will stop producing unpopular $1 coins of U.S. presidents to help cut government waste.

During a Cabinet-level meeting called to assess the administration's Campaign to Cut Waste, Biden said the commemorative coin program has been a failure.

"Right now, the law requires us to make dollar coins featuring every deceased president of the United States," Biden said. "They make hundreds of millions of these coins every year, 40 percent of them end up being returned to the Federal Reserve because nobody wants them. And here's the worst part: They're still making coins of presidents from the 1800s, meaning the United States Mint is about halfway through its planned production.

"And as it will shock you all, the call for Chester A. Arthur coins is not there," Biden said, earning a big laugh.

Biden said an estimated $1.4 billion in dollar coins are "literally just sitting around unused" in Federal Reserve vaults.

The Mint had been scheduled to issue $1.6 billion more through 2016.

"Nobody wants these coins," Biden said, noting suspending production would save about $50 million annually.

Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner announced other cost-saving moves such as moving Americans to electronic payment systems, expanded e-filing of tax returns and pushing insurance companies to track abuse of painkillers more closely to cut down on emergency room visits for overdoses.

Federal agencies have until March to present "detailed, specific" reports on plans to cut 20 percent in spending on travel, conferences and "swag," Biden said.

Significant progress has been made in cracking down on fraud, Biden said, noting the Justice Department recovered more than $5.6 billion this year, up 167 percent from 2008.

Topics: Joe Biden, Chester A. Arthur, Kathleen Sebelius, Timothy Geithner
Recommended Stories
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional U.S. News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Saudi men who danced naked on a car and posted the video online now working on an even more kinky...
Not news: Home Depot fired employees to cut costs during hard economic times. News: They targeted...
Over the years Nobel laureates have used their prize money on everything from upgrading a motorbike...
Photoshop this off-course submarine
Don't have the heart to tell your bride and her parents that you forgot to book the hall for the...
Can we have a R.I.P. for the country's oldest Medal of Honor recipient? He was just a Bayonne guy...