DETROIT, Dec. 7 (UPI) -- The father of a missing Detroit 2-year-old said police and the media are painting him as "the bad guy" in his daughter's disappearance.
D'Andre Lane told a news conference he is being treated unfairly, the Detroit Free Press reported Wednesday.
"I'm the bad guy right now," Lane said. "But I don't care what people say. If my baby comes home, it won't even matter."
Lane, 32, told police two men carjacked him on Detroit's upper east side Friday and took his 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis with daughter Bianca Jones inside.
When authorities located the stolen car Bianca was missing.
Since then hundreds of family, friends and strangers have been searching abandoned houses and empty lots for the toddler, The Detroit News reported.
Lane said he would like to help with the search but was advised against it after receiving numerous online and telephone death threats.
"I'm not the villain. Whoever has my daughter is the villain," Lane said.
Lane attorney Terry Johnson said his client has been cooperating fully with law enforcement.
Lane has served prison time for gun and drug charges. He has seven children by seven different women, his attorney said.