The 77-year-old woman was in the back yard of her Chula Vista house Tuesday afternoon when a few thousand bees began swarming, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported Wednesday.
The woman was stung just a few times and paramedics determined she did not need to go to the hospital, Deputy Fire Chief Jim Garcia said, but her dogs weren't so lucky.
A 12-year-old Dalmatian mix was stung more than 100 times and died of a seizure before arriving at Otay Pet Vets. The other dogs, ages 8 and 14, were treated at the animal hospital.
"We removed stinger after stinger," veterinarian Kevin Anderson said. "They are still improving, but they are not out of the woods yet."
A private exterminator was called to take care of the bee hive in the woman's yard.
Couple mistakenly served bag of cash at McDonald's drive-thru
Beyonce flaunts bikini body, Blue Ivy in vacation pics