facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Search group can sue Casey Anthony

Oct. 19, 2011 at 5:11 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
ORLANDO, Fla., Oct. 19 (UPI) -- A search group can proceed with its legal effort to recoup funds spent on the hunt for Caylee Anthony from her mother, Casey, a Florida judge said Wednesday.

Circuit Judge Lisa Munyon denied a motion by Casey Anthony's lawyer to dismiss the Texas EquuSearch lawsuit, WESH-TV reported. The organization said it spent $110,000 on an intensive search for the missing toddler when her mother knew she was already dead.

Anthony, who was acquitted in July of her daughter's slaying, said when Caylee was first reported missing she had been snatched by a nanny. During her trial, her defense lawyer said Caylee drowned accidentally in her grandparents' swimming pool and Anthony hid the body.

One of Texas EquuSearch's goals with the lawsuit is to force Anthony to testify under oath about her daughter's death, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

Charles Greene, who is representing Anthony, said Texas EquuSearch does not charge for searching. He also said the group's services were requested by Anthony's parents, George and Cindy.

Caylee's skeletal remains were found in a wooded area near the Anthony home in Orlando months after she was reported missing. By that time, her mother was already charged in the death.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Medal of Honor to be awarded to Civil War soldier
2
Colombia releases notorious hitman 'Popeye'
3
Firing range instructor shot by 9-year-old girl dies
4
Bodies of missing family found in Oregon lake
5
U.S. military jet crash lands in rural Virginia
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback