UPI en Espanol
facebook
twitter
account
search
search

Two sue N.C. Catholic diocese over abuse

Sept. 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

CHARLOTTE, N.C., Sept. 29 (UPI) -- Two men are suing the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, N.C., saying they were abused by a priest in the late 1970s and early 1980s.

The men, identified in the lawsuit as John Doe 1K and John Doe 2K, claim they were sexually assaulted by Joseph Kelleher while he was a priest at Our Lady of Annunciation Church in Albemarle, N.C., when the plaintiffs were 14 and 13, The Charlotte Observer reported.

The two men are seeking at least $10,000 in damages, said their lawyer, Seth Langson.

Kelleher, 83, was indicted earlier this year in Stanly County, N.C., for sexual abuse of a minor.

After Kelleher was charged earlier this year, a group of former parishioners at Kelleher's churches formed a support group for the man. The "Justice for Father Joseph Kelleher" group on Facebook has nearly 1,300 members.

Related UPI Stories
Topics: Facebook
Top Stories
Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio requests new judge and public assistance with legal fees
New Orleans police officer fatally shot in patrol car
Islamic State says it can soon buy nuclear weapon, smuggle it into U.S.
Landslide in Nepal blocks Kali Gandaki River, threatens flooding
Generator in basement causes carbon monoxide poisioning in five Pennsylvania homes