facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

9 hospitalized after inhaling toxic fumes in a McDonalds

Sept. 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
POOLER, Ga., Sept. 8 (UPI) -- Nine people were hospitalized after breathing in toxic fumes at a Pooler, Ga., McDonald's, rescuers said.

Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons said the combination of chemicals used to clean the restaurant's bathrooms is thought to be the cause of the fumes than resulted in one woman ending up in critical condition, the Savannah (Ga.) Morning News reported.

Two women were found unconscious in a bathroom of the restaurant Wednesday, Simmons said.

The two women were taken to a hospital, and one remains in critical condition.

Two other customers, an employee and three firefighters were sent to the hospital.

Pooler firefighters and Savannah Fire's hazardous materials crew decontaminated all customers and employees of the McDonald's, hosing down sick people and taking contaminated clothing.

"We weren't exactly sure what it was," Simmons said. "We decontaminated them and bagged their clothing, just to limit any possible risk."

Two people were treated at the scene of the incident, but were not taken to the hospital.

Topics: McDonald's
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Pakistani leader intimately connected to IS Pakistani leader intimately connected to IS
2
John Wayne Gacy room at Rob Zombie's haunted house angers victims John Wayne Gacy room at Rob Zombie's haunted house angers victims
3
Boston Herald apologizes for 'racist' Obama cartoon Boston Herald apologizes for 'racist' Obama cartoon
4
Loose mountain lion spotted in Brentwood Loose mountain lion spotted in Brentwood
5
Nikki Haley lead down to 10 points in S.C. re-election Nikki Haley lead down to 10 points in S.C. re-election
Trending News
x
Feedback