facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

9 hospitalized after inhaling toxic fumes in a McDonalds

Sept. 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
POOLER, Ga., Sept. 8 (UPI) -- Nine people were hospitalized after breathing in toxic fumes at a Pooler, Ga., McDonald's, rescuers said.

Pooler Fire Chief Wade Simmons said the combination of chemicals used to clean the restaurant's bathrooms is thought to be the cause of the fumes than resulted in one woman ending up in critical condition, the Savannah (Ga.) Morning News reported.

Two women were found unconscious in a bathroom of the restaurant Wednesday, Simmons said.

The two women were taken to a hospital, and one remains in critical condition.

Two other customers, an employee and three firefighters were sent to the hospital.

Pooler firefighters and Savannah Fire's hazardous materials crew decontaminated all customers and employees of the McDonald's, hosing down sick people and taking contaminated clothing.

"We weren't exactly sure what it was," Simmons said. "We decontaminated them and bagged their clothing, just to limit any possible risk."

Two people were treated at the scene of the incident, but were not taken to the hospital.

Topics: McDonald's
© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Six Flags fight leaves boy critically injured, may have been organized on Twitter Six Flags fight leaves boy critically injured, may have been organized on Twitter
2
Body of missing Realtor Beverly Carter found Body of missing Realtor Beverly Carter found
3
Patient admitted to hospital with potential Ebola virus Patient admitted to hospital with potential Ebola virus
4
Conservative darling Ben Carson considering 2016 bid Conservative darling Ben Carson considering 2016 bid
5
$900,000 Porsche Spyder catches fire at gas station $900,000 Porsche Spyder catches fire at gas station
Trending News
x
Feedback