ORLANDO, Fla., July 5 (UPI) -- A Texas man bitten by a rattlesnake was in intensive care Tuesday in a Kissimmee, Fla., hospital, authorities said.
Wayne Wilburn was taken to the hospital after the pygmy rattlesnake bit him on the thumb Saturday and given three doses of anti-venom, WFTV, Orlando, reported Monday.
Wilburn, with his wife and two children, were at the Windsor Hills Resort near Disney World when they came across the snake near the hotel's swimming pool.
Wilburn was trying to kill the rattlesnake with a stick when he was bitten.
"He has such a huge heart that he was in fear of the children," Marla Wilburn said of her husband's attempt to kill the snake.
Pygmy rattlesnakes are small, only 1 to 2 feet long, but are aggressive and dangerous, a wildlife official said.
They are responsible for more bites in Florida than any other venomous snake, officials told WFTV.
Wilburn is expected to make a full recovery but would remain under observation until Friday, doctors said.