Report: ATF chief expected to resign

June 20, 2011 at 3:11 PM

WASHINGTON, June 20 (UPI) -- The acting head of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is likely to resign because of the operation to follow guns in Mexico, CNN reported.

Kenneth Melson has come under fire for Operation Fast and Furious, which allowed U.S. guns to be purchased by Mexican gun cartels. The plan was to track guns in an effort to bring down smuggling networks. One of the guns was used to kill a U.S. Border Patrol agent.

CNN, quoting sources, said Melson is likely to resign this week.

Attorney General Eric Holder was scheduled to meet Tuesday with Chicago ATF chief Andrew Traver, who was nominated last year to head the agency. Objections by the National Rifle Association, however, have stalled the nomination process.

Politico said the ATF refused to comment on the CNN report. White House spokesman Jay Carney also refused comment during the regular daily briefing.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
One arrested after Philadelphia college lockdown
Boehner delays House vote for new speaker
NASA releases thousands of Apollo mission photos on Flickr
Snowden: U.S. won't respond to offers to serve prison time
FDA approves new treatment for advanced lung cancer