The Department of Defense POW/Missing Personnel Office said Monday Army Cpl. A.V. Scott, 27, of Detroit will be buried June 22 at Arlington National Cemetery, a DOD release said.
On Feb. 12, 1951, Scott was with his unit, the 503rd Field Artillery Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division about 70 miles east of Seoul, South Korea when they were attacked by Chinese units.
Scott and his many in his unit were captured and forced to march about 100 miles to a POW camp in Suan County, North Korea. Scott died in April 1951, camp survivors said.
Between 1991 and 1994, North Korea turned over to the United States 208 boxes said to house the remains of between 200 and 400 American servicemen. Documents handed over with one of the boxes showed those remains had been exhumed near Suan, the release said.
Scientists from the Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command used investigative, circumstantial, forensic and dental comparisons and the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory used mitochondrial DNA, which matched that of Scott's cousins, in the identification.
With Scott's identification, there remain 7,993 American servicemen missing from the Korean War. Hostilities ended with a cease-fire July 27, 1953.