facebook
twitter
search
search

Man sues over wrongful murder conviction

April 28, 2011 at 5:44 PM

HARTFORD, Conn., April 28 (UPI) -- A man who spent two decades in a Connecticut prison for a murder committed by someone else has sued the city of Hartford.

Miguel Roman's lawsuit, filed last month, also names individual police officers as defendants, The Hartford Courant reported. He charges they ignored evidence suggesting he was not the killer and questioned him in English when he is much more fluent in Spanish.

Pedro Miranda was convicted Tuesday of the murder of Carmen Lopez, 17, in January 1988. Roman was Lopez's boyfriend, while Miranda was involved with Lopez's cousin.

Miranda faces two more trials for allegedly killing teenage girls in 1986 and 1987. He served time in prison for assaulting a woman in 1998.

Roman was released in 2008 and Miranda charged after investigators compared his DNA to evidence from the Lopez killing.

Rosemarie Paine, Roman's lawyer, said Wednesday he lost the life he could have had during the years he was in prison. His son and daughter grew up while he was behind bars.

"He did not get to be the parent he would have liked to have been. That is something he cannot recapture," Paine said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
'Serial stowaway' arrested again at Chicago's O'Hare, Midway airports
Maine man dead after shooting firework off head, police say
Greeks vote overwhelmingly to reject creditors' bailout
Third disturbance in four days erupts at Arizona prison
Two killed by police gunfire in 2 separate Central Texas shootings