GM: Chevy Volt did not cause garage fire

April 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM   |   Comments

BARKHAMSTED, Conn., April 19 (UPI) -- GM engineers have determined a Chevrolet Volt was not the cause of a fire that destroyed the Connecticut garage where it was recharging, the company says.

In a statement released Monday, GM said the Volt's battery sustained moderate damage, not the destruction that would have been caused if the fire had started there. The same was true of the cordset and charger.

The fire broke out Thursday in an attached garage in Barkhamsted. The garage belongs to Storm Connors, who owned the Volt and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai he had converted to run on electricity.

Both cars were recharging at the time, the Hartford Courant reported.

Smoke was discovered coming from underneath the Volt on Monday morning.

"The rekindle this morning really adds to the mystery," Barkhamsted Fire Marshal Bill Baldwin said.

The Volt was introduced in December and about 1,500 have been sold. The vehicle includes a small gasoline engine for recharging the battery, so it is classified as a hybrid rather than an all-electric car.

Connors could not be reached for comment, the Courant said. He is a volunteer firefighter who lists his occupations as training consultant, clown and magician.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
Federal judge strikes down polygamy ban in Utah
Ukraine: Troop movements will no longer be publicized after Russian attacks
Body found, confirmed to be missing N.J. man Aaron Sofer [UPDATED]
Search expands for pilot of crashed U.S. military jet in rural Virginia
Kirsten Gillibrand called 'porky,' 'chubby,' 'fat' by male colleagues
Trending News