WHEELING, W.Va., March 30 (UPI) -- A morbidly obese Ohio man who spent two years in a chair, his skin fused to it among his own waste and maggots, has died, a local news station reported.
The 43-year-old Bellaire, Ohio, resident, who weighed in excess of 500 pounds and whose name has been withheld, died 10 a.m. Wednesday at Wheeling Hospital, Steve Novotney of WKKX-AM, Wheeling, W.Va., told United Press International.
Emergency crews were called to the rented house he occupied with two roommates after they found the man in his chair unresponsive Sunday, Brenda Danehart of WTRF-TV, Wheeling, told UPI.com.
First responders said the man's skin had become merged with the fabric of the chair, glued with urine and feces. Authorities had to cut a hole in the wall of the house to remove the man so they could transport him to the hospital.
Another man lived in a separate bedroom and the deceased man's girlfriend, who served him food and soda, also lived in the rented house although it is unclear where, Novotney said.
The man was not being held against his will, not living under forced confinement and had access to hygiene, WTRF-TV reported.
The landlord, whose name was not reported, said had checked on the renters periodically but because the man had covered himself with a blanket she had no idea the situation had deteriorated as badly as it did.
She said the decedent had rented from her before and used to be a vital active person.
"You rent to adult and you expect them to know how to live," the landlord said.
|Additional U.S. News Stories|
WASHINGTON, June 18 (UPI) --General Motors said it would recall 231,000 model year 2006-07 vehicles due to a short in the driver's door that could spontaneously cause a fire.