Haiti school founder gets prison for abuse

Dec. 21, 2010 at 11:23 PM

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Dec. 21 (UPI) -- The founder of a school in Haiti was sentenced Tuesday to 19 years, seven months in a U.S. prison for molesting boys on the island nation.

Five of Douglas Perlitz's victims, now men in their 20s, testified at a daylong hearing in federal court in New Haven, the Connecticut Post reported. Speaking in Creole, they described abuse that began when they were as young as 11 -- and his threats to kick them out of the Pierre Toussaint school in Cap-Haitien if they reported him.

About 30 Haitians watched the proceedings. They included Cyrus Sibert, a radio reporter in Haiti who first reported the victims' stories in 2007.

Perlitz, an alumnus of Fairfield University in Connecticut, had been considered a humanitarian. Fairfield gave him an honorary degree in 2002 for his work in Haiti.

He pleaded guilty in September under a U.S. law that makes sex tourism involving juveniles a crime.

Some Haitians said they were relieved by the long sentence.

"This is a credit to the American government and the American people," said Louis Elneus, a school employee in Haiti. "The judge was thorough, thoughtful -- and she's right. We're very happy that Doug is away and at least his victims will find some sort of satisfaction from this."

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
One arrested after Philadelphia college lockdown
Boehner delays House vote for new speaker
NASA releases thousands of Apollo mission photos on Flickr
Snowden: U.S. won't respond to offers to serve prison time
FDA approves new treatment for advanced lung cancer