facebook
twitter
search
search

10th suspect surrenders in gay-bash spree

Oct. 12, 2010 at 5:13 PM

NEW YORK, Oct. 12 (UPI) -- A 10th suspect in what New York police say was a vicious gay-bashing spree by a Bronx gang surrendered early Tuesday.

Police originally said nine people were involved in beating and torturing two gay teenagers and a 30-year-old man, and tying up and robbing a victim's brother. They announced that Jose Dominguez, 22, was a suspect after he turned himself in to the Special Victims Unit, the New York Daily News reported.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Chief Ray Kelly had announced the charges at a news conference Friday after seven of the suspects had been arrested. An eighth surrendered Saturday and the ninth was arrested Monday.

The suspects allegedly claimed membership in the Latin Kings Goonies.

The family of one of the 17-year-old victims said he moved to the Bronx four years ago after a childhood in Puerto Rico. His stepmother said he still has physical injuries, but the psychic damage is worse.

"He thought they were his friends," she told The New York Times. "It hurt him more inside than out."

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Shark bite confirmed off North Carolina shore
Small plane crash kills two near Dallas
Justice Department investigating airlines for alleged price fixing
Britain, Western Europe endure record heat wave
Activists in Hong Kong rally against 'fake democracy'