facebook
twitter
search
search

McCain releases 'hold' on Clapper

Aug. 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM
| License Photo

WASHINGTON, Aug. 3 (UPI) -- U.S. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., has released his hold on James Clapper's nomination as national intelligence director, a McCain aide said Tuesday.

Brooke Buchanan, communications director for McCain, said in a statement released on the Arizona Republican's official Web site, that the hold was lifted after receipt of a report McCain had first requested "nearly a year ago."

"This report confirms Senator McCain's longstanding concerns about the poor oversight and cost overruns in intelligence technology programs," Buchanan's statement said. "Senator McCain will continue to fight to ensure American taxpayer dollars are used efficiently and effectively to strengthen our national security."

Details of the report were not provided.

Clapper, a retired Air Force lieutenant general, received unanimous Senate Intelligence Committee approval last week for his nomination as director of national intelligence. But McCain's "hold" had threatened to keep President Obama's pick from being confirmed by the full Senate until after its August recess.

Clapper would succeed Dennis Blair, who resigned in May. The acting director, principal Deputy Director David Gompert, is to leave at the end of August.

Senate rules allow members to put "holds" on nominees or bills to signal they might filibuster a vote on the matter until their concerns are addressed.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Ted Cruz campaign pulls ad featuring softcore porn actress
Report: Clinton Foundation subpoenaed by State Dept. watchdog over charity projects
Ruby Rose, Gigi Hadid react to Kanye West's lyric about Taylor Swift
Kristen Wiig impersonates Peyton Manning on 'The Tonight Show'
NYC police officer found guilty of manslaughter in Brooklyn stairway shooting