DETROIT, July 10 (UPI) -- No candidates have filed to run for two open seats on the Detroit Public Schools board, officials say.
The Aug. 3 primary has been canceled, The Detroit News reports. Theoretically, a write-in candidate could be elected to the board in November with only one vote.
Anthony Adams, now serving as board president, and Ronald Cleveland, who were appointed last year to fill vacant seats, have declined to run.
An activist group, Change for Better Schools, is lobbying Mayor David Bing to hold a referendum on direct mayoral control of the schools. Bing reportedly supports the plan.
The former board president, Otis Mathis, quit after being accused of fondling himself during a meeting with Teresa Gueyser, who has since been ousted as school superintendent.
Bob Berg, a spokesman for Change for Better Schools, said the lack of candidates proves the group's point.
"It underscores the need for a change and the view people have of the board," Berg said. "The actions of the members have been so thoroughly discrediting, people don't want to be associated with the board."
If no one wins the November election, the board will appoint new members.