N.H. school reopens after CO scare

Feb. 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

DERRY, N.H., Feb. 18 (UPI) -- Officials at a school in Derry, N.H., said the school reopened Thursday after precautions were taken regarding a carbon monoxide scare.

St. Thomas Aquinas School officials said after the school's students were evacuated Wednesday amid concerns of a possible carbon monoxide incident, nine carbon monoxide detectors were installed throughout the school, WMUR-TV, Manchester, reported.

Officials said 31 students and staff from the school visited local hospitals following Wednesday's scare.

"One student actually went to the ground," Battalion Chief Michael Doyle said. "The others were just presenting with a little bit of dizziness and nausea."

Low levels of carbon monoxide were found in the systems of five children, but those levels were below the levels that could be found in an average smoker.

Fire Marshal Bill Degnan applauded the addition of the carbon monoxide detectors at the school.

"When you have situations like this, it reminds you of how vulnerable we are and what a good idea it would be to put these items in," he told WMUR.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories