Coleman, who lost his Senate seat to Democrat Al Franken last year after a high-stakes election recount and long, drawn-out court battle, announced Sunday he had decided against running for the statehouse office now occupied by Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty, the Star Tribune newspaper in Minneapolis reported.
"This is not the right time for me and my family to conduct a campaign for governor," Coleman said in a Facebook post. "The timing on this race is both a bit too soon and a bit too late. The commitments I have to my family and the work I am currently engaged in do not allow me to now go forward."
The newspaper said Coleman's decision came after seven Republicans and 12 Democrats had already lined up for a shot at the governor's mansion. Pawlenty, who is widely considered to be organizing a U.S. presidential campaign, announced last year he would not seek another term.
Coleman lost a Minnesota gubernatorial bid in 1998 when he and Democrat Hubert "Skip" Humphrey III were both defeated by independent candidate Jesse Ventura.
Scarlett Johansson steps out with fiance after pregnancy reveal
Dennis Rodman pledges to end trips to North Korea