16 Americans killed in Haiti quake

Jan. 17, 2010 at 5:11 PM

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti, Jan. 17 (UPI) -- Sixteen Americans have been confirmed dead in the Haiti earthquake, the U.S. State Department said Sunday.

Officials said 15 private citizens and a U.S. government employee were among those killed, Fox News reported.

The U.S. broadcaster said the U.S. Embassy in Haiti reported Sunday that at least 70 Americans still remain unaccounted for in the devastating earthquake and 2,000 U.S. citizens had been evacuated.

Fox News quoted a U.S. official saying that up to 400 people have been sleeping inside the embassy in Port-au-Prince each night.

Some 62 people, mostly Haitians, have reportedly been rescued in international relief efforts so far.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more news from UPI.com
Related UPI Stories
share with facebook
share with twitter
Trending Stories