facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

USB cable blamed for child's injuries

Jan. 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM   |   Comments

AURORA, Colo., Jan. 8 (UPI) -- A USB cable connected to a laptop is responsible for a 16-month-old Colorado girl being hospitalized and the cables may pose a risk to others, a relative says.

Jeffrey Anderson said his granddaughter, Trinity, apparently was shocked after placing the cable into her mouth, suffering third-degree burns to her lips, palate and tongue, The Daily Camera (Boulder, Colo.) reported Thursday.

Anderson said the cables, which typically carry five volts of electricity, could pose a danger to other children.

"With the number of people who have these, with the number of doctors and nurses who say they've never seen anything like this, we felt we had to let people know," he said.

Anderson said the young girl's mother was using the laptop computer at the time of Monday's accident and immediately rushed the girl to the hospital.

The Daily Camera said medical staff are using sedatives and paralyzing drugs to restrict the infant's movements and will assess possible neurological damage after allowing the child to regain consciousness in coming days.

© 2010 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Medal of Honor to be awarded to Civil War soldier
2
Colombia releases notorious hitman 'Popeye'
3
U.S. military jet crash lands in rural Virginia
4
Firing range instructor shot by 9-year-old girl dies
5
Bodies of missing family found in Oregon lake
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback