facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

'High threat' of terrorism in Sinai, London warns

Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM   |   Comments

LONDON, Feb. 19 (UPI) -- The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office said Wednesday it believed terrorists in the Sinai Peninsula of Egypt were plotting additional attacks.

"We believe there is a high threat from terrorism and terrorists continue to plan attacks," the warning read. "Attacks could be indiscriminate and occur without prior warning."

Egyptian news website Ahram Online reports militant group Ansar Beit al-Maqdis claimed responsibility for a Sunday attack in Sinai during the weekend, which left three South Korean tourists and an Egyptian driver dead.

The FCO said in its travel warning it was advising against all but essential travel to the region, except for the resort city of Sharm el-Sheik.

The warning said most attacks in the region have been aimed at security forces, though attacks on foreigners "cannot be ruled out."

Last week, Egypt's official MENA news agency said a gas pipeline was attacked in the region, the fourth such attack this year. No injuries were reported and there were no claims of responsibility for that attack.

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Ailina Tsarnaev, Boston Marathon bomber's sister, arrested over alleged bomb threat
2
Major general stripped of title over handling of sexual abuse allegation
3
Syrian militants seize Golan Heights border crossing
4
Texas man acquitted of killing man who killed his sons in DUI
5
Canada offers Russia and 'Not Russia' a geography lesson
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback