facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Fighting erupts again in South Sudan

Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM   |   Comments

JUBA, South Sudan, Feb. 18 (UPI) -- The U.N. humanitarian coordinator in South Sudan said Tuesday all parties to the violence were called on to end hostilities after a fragile truce collapsed.

"Hostilities have this morning broken out in Malakal [in the north of the country]." U.N. Humanitarian Coordinator for South Sudan Toby Lanzar said in a statement posted from his Twitter account. "All parties engaged in the violence must uphold people's rights and protect non-combatants."

Violence erupted in South Sudan in December when President Salva Kiir, a member of the Dinka ethnic community, accused former Vice President Riek Machar, a member of the Nuer community, of trying to overthrow the government. Machar was sidelined when Kiir reshuffled his Cabinet in July, but denies waging a coup.

Kiir's spokesman, Ateny Wek Ateny, told the BBC "well-equipped" rebel forces attacked their positions, though rival parties said it was the government that attacked first with the help of Ugandan troops.

Representatives from warring sides in South Sudan met last week for talks in Ethiopia with mediators from the region's Intergovernmental Authority on Development to try to resolve the crisis.

Herve Ladsous, U.N. undersecretary-general for peacekeeping operations, said last week the road to recovery for South Sudan would be "very long."

© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Ukraine claims Russian offensive on third front
2
Syrian militants seize Golan Heights border crossing
3
Major general stripped of title over handling of sexual abuse allegation
4
Serial stowaway arrested again in Phoenix
5
Report reveals 1,400 children sexually abused in English town between 1997 and 2013
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback