facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Kenya's VP wants ICC case to go on without him

Oct. 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM   |   Comments

THE HAGUE, Netherlands, Oct. 15 (UPI) -- Kenyan Vice President William Ruto said Tuesday the government wants his war crimes case at The Hague to move forward without him present.

Ruto, national broadcast director Joshua Sang and President Uhuru Kenyatta are accused by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands, of committing war crimes during post-election violence in 2007.

Kenyatta chose Ruto as his vice president for elections this year. Both men were on opposing sides during the 2007 melee.

Ruto said from The Hague he wanted to return home to tend to his national obligations, calling on the ICC to move forward without him.

Kenya is still reeling from last month's terrorist attack by al-Shabaab on an upscale shopping center in Nairobi. Ruto's case was adjourned briefly last month so he could return home to help coordinate the response to the attack.

"It is clear that the president and myself need every space to deal with that challenge even as we pursue the interests of justice and balancing it with the responsibility of running the country," he was quoted by The Daily Nation newspaper in Kenya as saying.

The ICC said it had evidence to suggest there was "a network of people" trying to sabotage the case against the vice president.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Most Popular
1
Ukraine: Troop movements will no longer be publicized after Russian attacks
2
High-ranking Chicago police officer charged with putting gun in man's mouth
3
Federal judge strikes down polygamy ban in Utah
4
Islamic State claims mass execution of 250 Syrian soldiers
5
Obama speaks on Iraq, Syria, the Islamic State threat, and Ukraine
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback