UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

U.S. discussing rights issues with Bahrain

  |
 
Published: Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:08 AM

WASHINGTON, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- The U.S. government has expressed its concern about the treatment of opposition leaders in Bahrain to its close partners in Manama, the State Department said.

Bahrain's government last month confirmed the arrest of Khalil al-Marzooq, a deputy leader from the opposition al-Wefaq organization. He was accused of inciting violence and supporting terrorism through a speech he delivered to supporters in September.

The Bahraini government stripped dozens of political activists of their citizenship, including at least one member of al-Wefaq. Bahrain blames the opposition group for unrest in the Persian Gulf country.

Dozens of people were killed during an uprising in 2011. Bahrain said it is committed to reforms outlined by an independent commission probing the government's response to the protests.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said Washington was calling on both sides to settle their issues through a national dialogue. She said she was concerned about restrictions placed on political freedoms.

"We've continued this discussion with the Bahraini government," she said during her regular press briefing Thursday. "They're close partners of ours in the region, and we'll keep talking about it with them."

Bahrain hosts the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Afghan vote about more than its candidates
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...