UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Yemen gets mixed grade from U.N. official

  |
 
Published: Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

SANAA, Yemen, Oct. 3 (UPI) -- Yemen gets a mixed report card for its progress on a variety of reforms made during the last two years, a visiting U.N. human rights official said.

U.N. Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights Flavia Pansieri arrived Sunday in Yemen to meet with President Abdo Rabbo Mansour Hadi and key ministers.

Hadi took power last year after longtime President Saleh stepped down in the wake of the Middle East and North African upheavals known as the Arab Spring in 2011.

Pansieri said Thursday from Yemen the government has made progress with a national dialogue agenda aimed at facilitating broad-based reconciliation in a country unsettled by lingering divisions.

Hadi said he had hundreds of delegates tasked with leading the reconciliation effort. Pansieri said human rights should be at the forefront of any national conversation.

The rights chief took issue with a juvenile justice system that charged minors to death. Overall, the rights chief said she was leaving Yemen with mixed feelings.

"I had some good meetings, and heard some important commitments, but the road ahead is still a steep one," she said in a statement. "The future of Yemen cannot be built on impunity for past violations whenever and wherever they occurred."

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Kenyan MPs irked by treatment at The Hague
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...