UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Muslim Brotherhood protests planned Sunday in Egypt

  |
 
Published: Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

CAIRO, Oct. 3 (UPI) -- A national alliance opposed to the ouster of Egypt's president in July has called for demonstrations Sunday in Cairo's central Tahrir Square.

Mohammed Morsi became the first democratically elected president in Egyptian history last year. The military removed him from power in July amid ongoing frustration with his Islamist principles and failure to address Egypt's economic woes.

A movement calling itself a pro-legitimacy national alliance says it was calling on all Egyptians to turn out for a "massive" march on the central Cairo square Sunday.

"Participate peacefully, positively," the statement published on the Muslim Brotherhood's website said Thursday. "Egypt's coalition of parties, groups and movements opposed to the heinous coup calls all Egyptians to participate in a massive peaceful protest."

Morsi was the Muslim Brotherhood's presidential candidate. He, along with several high-ranking Brotherhood members, is behind bars.

European foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton is in Cairo this week meeting with interim political leaders and members of the opposition. The EU this year restricted military sales to Egypt in response to a military crackdown on Brotherhood supporters.

Topics: Catherine Ashton
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Ukraine to end military conscription after autumn call-ups
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...