UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Kenyan MPs irked by treatment at The Hague

  |
 
Published: Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

THE HAGUE, Netherlands, Oct. 3 (UPI) -- Kenyan lawmakers said they scuffled with Dutch authorities outside a court in The Hague during the trial for Vice President William Ruto.

The International Criminal Court recalled Ruto to The Hague, Netherlands, for his war crimes trial. The case was adjourned briefly last month so the vice president could return to Kenya to help coordinate the response to a terrorist attack on the Westgate shopping center.

Some of the lawmakers traveling to The Hague said Thursday they scuffled with Dutch police who tried to keep them at least 60 feet away from entrance to the court.

Mithika Lunturi, a member of the Kenyan Parliament, told The Daily Nation newspaper in Kenya legislators had a right to be present "because we are the accused. We are part of the Rome Statute [that created the ICC]."

The ICC issued an arrest warrant Wednesday for a Kenyan man, Walter Barasa, for trying to bribe someone he thought was a prosecution witness in the Ruto case.

The ICC said it had evidence to suggest there was "a network of people" trying to sabotage the case against the vice president.

Ruto, national broadcast director Joshua Sang and President Uhuru Kenyatta are suspected of war crimes in connection with post-election violence that left thousands of Kenyans dead in 2007. They claim they're innocent.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Paraguay comes in from the cold after post-coup isolation
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...