UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Bahrain says time ripe for political reforms

  |
 
A Bahraini girl articipates in a march on April 21, 2012. UPI/Khaled Jawhar
A Bahraini girl articipates in a march on April 21, 2012. UPI/Khaled Jawhar 
License photo
Published: Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM

MANAMA, Bahrain, Oct. 3 (UPI) -- The situation in Bahrain is such that most national issues can be resolved without resorting to acts of violence, the interior minister said Thursday.

Dozens of protesters were killed during clashes with security forces during an uprising against the Sunni-led monarchy in Bahrain in 2011. The government said it is committed to a reform agenda outlined by an independent commission probing its response to the unrest.

Lt. Gen. Rashid bin Abdullah al-Khalifa, Bahrain's interior minister, said there is "political breathing space" in the country.

"The situation is sufficient for people to avoid resorting to violence in order to express their demands," he was quoted by the official Bahrain News Agency as saying.

Bahrain has been accused of misleading the international community about political conflicts in the Persian Gulf country. The British government has issued a steady stream of travel advisories warning of the possibility for unrest. Bahrain said it's been the target of a smear campaign.

Bahrain Minister of Foreign Affairs Khalid bin Ahmed bin Mohammed al-Khalifa addressed the 68th session of the U.N. General Assembly last week. He said the country has a long history of transparent and open dialogue with its citizens. Cooperation "not confrontation" could settle many internal issues, he said.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Ivory Coast called on to respond to ICC
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...