UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Muslim Brotherhood says no backing down

  |
 
Published: Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:42 PM

CAIRO, Oct. 2 (UPI) -- The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt said Wednesday it would not back away from its demands for the reinstatement of Mohamed Morsi as president.

The military removed Morsi from power July 3 following weeks of political unrest in Egypt. He became the first president ever elected by a democratic vote in Egyptian history last year but faced mounting pressure for his Islamic ideologies and failure to address the country's economic woes.

The interim government banned the Muslim Brotherhood. Morsi ran as a candidate under the organization's Freedom and Justice political party.

Catherine Ashton, the top foreign policy chief for the European Union, arrived Wednesday in Cairo to meet interim leaders and members of the Freedom and Justice Party. She expressed concern earlier this year about the government's crackdown against Morsi's supporters.

Several high-ranking Brotherhood members are behind bars. The organization issued a statement on its English-language Ikhwanweb site, saying it was undeterred.

"The group remains undivided," it said. "Through its well-established institutions and legitimate leadership, it remains steadfast in the performance of its mission."

The Brotherhood added the regime was putting on a false front of diplomacy during Ashton's visit. It said it continued to demand Morsi, himself behind bars, be reinstated as president.

Topics: Mohamed Morsi, Catherine Ashton
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Bangladeshi court sentences BNP politician to death
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...