UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

CAR crisis overshadowed by Syria, U.N. says

  |
 
Published: Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM

GENEVA, Switzerland, Oct. 2 (UPI) -- The crisis in Syria shouldn't draw international focus completely away from a lingering crisis in the Central African Republic, U.N. leaders said.

CAR Prime Minister Nicolas Tiangaye told the U.N. General Assembly last week his country is on the brink of collapse because of humanitarian and national security challenges. The rebel Seleka coalition, which toppled the government this year, is suspected of committing war crimes in the country, prompting the International Criminal Court to investigate.

Adama Dieng and Jennifer Welsh, two U.N. advisers addressing genocide and the protection of civilians, said in joint statement Tuesday the situation in CAR is deteriorating quickly.

"While the international community is deeply engaged with crisis situations around the world and with the crisis in Syria in particular, we must not forget other populations that are equally in need of protection," they said.

The International Committee of the Red Cross said last week it was responding to the needs of those "hard hit by continuing armed clashes" in parts of the country west of the capital Bangui.

It said more than 50 bodies were buried after their identities were confirmed.

"While the international community has yet to engage in a concerted way to prevent atrocities in CAR, there is still time to take steps to halt the escalation of this crisis and the suffering of the population," the special envoys said.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: Turkey not off hook for May unrest, Amnesty says
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...