UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Bangladeshi court sentences BNP politician to death

  |
 
Published: Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM

DHAKA, Bangladesh, Oct. 2 (UPI) -- A war crimes court in Bangladesh has sentenced an opposition MP to death for his part in murder and genocide during the 1971 war of independence.

Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury, the Bangladesh Nationalist Party member of Parliament for Chittagong, was found guilty of nine of 23 charges relating to crimes against humanity, the Bangladeshi Internet news site bdnews24.com reported.

The International Crimes Tribunal-1 pronounced the verdict, specifically citing murder, genocide and torture during the conflict when East Pakistan -- as Bangladesh was then called -- fought for independence from West Pakistan, now called Pakistan.

Chowdhury is the son of Pakistani Muslim League leader Fazlul Quader Chowdhury, who fought against the separation of East Pakistan.

Chowdhury allegedly committed the crimes against Hindus, members of the Awami League political party and supporters of independence in 1971.

Prosecutors also accused him of forcefully converting Hindus to Islam and turning his father's house in Chittagong into a place of torture.

Chowdhury's wife said after the verdict she and her legal team "would do whatever we need to do to show the world that this is a farce."

The court's verdict immediately was condemned by Chowdhury's family and supporters, bdnews24 reported.

Ahsanul Haque Hina, defense lawyer for Chowdhury, said he will appeal the sentence.

"I will not comment on the verdict," he said. "Yes, we will appeal."

Shahadat Hossain, general secretary of the BNP's Chittagong constituency, called for a daylong general strike to protest the verdict.

"Chowdhury's judgment is politically motivated," he told bdnews24.

The tribunal was set up by the Awami League government in 2010 to try people suspected of collaborating with Pakistani forces.

But opposition parties have accused it of pursuing a political vendetta against its opponents, the BBC reported.

"We are of the unanimous view that the accused deserves the highest punishment for committing such crimes that tremble the collective conscience of mankind," tribunal chairman Justice Fazle Kabir said.

Chowdhury repeatedly interrupted the judge during his 2 1/2-hour summing up that ended with a sentence of death by hanging.

Afterward, Chowdhury's supporters attacked governing party activists, smashing and burning vehicles in Chittagong and Dhaka, police said.

At least one person was injured in Chittagong, the BBC reported.

Rights group Amnesty International welcomes the trials of people suspected of crimes against humanity, but condemned the death sentence.

"The many victims of horrific abuses during Bangladesh's independence war and their families have long deserved justice, but the death penalty is not the answer," Abbas Faiz, Bangladesh researcher at Amnesty International, said.

"One human rights abuse can't make amends for another. Bangladesh must overturn the death sentence against Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury and all others.

"The death penalty is the ultimate cruel and inhuman punishment and can never be a way to deliver justice," he said.

The Amnesty statement also noted of the seven people the tribunal has sentenced so far, five received the death penalty and are able to appeal to the country's Supreme Court.

The five include Chowdhury and four members of the opposition Jamaat-e-Islami party.

The two other people sentenced received imprisonment.

But one of the imprisoned, Abdul Quader Mollah, who was given a life sentence in February, had his sentence increased to death by the Supreme Court, following an appeal by the government. He can't appeal his death sentence because there is no higher court to hear an appeal.

Topics: Amnesty International, Supreme Court
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: CAR crisis overshadowed by Syria, U.N. says
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...