UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Myanmar hit by Muslim, Buddhist clashes

  |
 
Published: Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM

NAYPYITAW, Myanmar, Oct. 1 (UPI) -- Dozens of homes were burned to the ground during clashes between Buddhists and Muslims in Myanmar's restive Rakhine state, an official said Tuesday.

Win Naing, a local delegate from the opposition National League for Democracy, told Thai newspaper The Irrawaddy one Muslim woman was killed during clashes that resulted in the destruction of village homes.

"I heard that 35 houses were burned down," he said.

The Thai newspaper said clashes began last weekend but escalated Tuesday morning local time. Local officials in the state said at least 800 people were involved in attacks on Muslim villages in the area.

The Irrawaddy reports clashes erupted after a Muslim man became involved in an argument with a Buddhist taxi driver.

The U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees sounded the alarm most recently in August when communal violence in the region left one person dead and 10 others injured. Nearly 140,000 people have been displaced by violence in Rakhine since last year.

Myanmar was praised for political reforms that started with general elections three years ago. National security issues and human rights concerns have overshadowed some of the reforms.

The violence comes as Myanmar President Thein Sein makes his first official visit to the coastal state of Rakhine since taking office in 2010.

Topics: Thein Sein
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...