UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Former Ivorian minister wanted for war crimes

  |
 
Published: Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

THE HAGUE, Netherlands, Oct. 1 (UPI) -- The International Criminal Court said Tuesday it unsealed an arrest warrant for former Ivorian Youth Minister Charles Ble Goude for war crimes.

The court said in a statement published Tuesday the 40-year-old Ble Goude bears responsibility for four counts of crimes against humanity, "namely murder, rape and other forms of sexual violence, persecution, and other inhuman acts, allegedly committed" during post-election conflicts from December 2010 to April 2010.

Ivory Coast was pushed to the brink of civil war following disputed presidential elections. Former Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo is facing war crimes charges of his own for his role in the violence.

Ble Goude fled the country in April 2011 when Gbagbo was arrested and transferred to The Hague.

The ICC said the former minister was involved in orchestrating some of the violence. The court said he allegedly had power to give orders to Ivorian youth who were recruited into the military to serve as mercenaries loyal to Gbagbo.

The former minister told the BBC last year he wasn't responsible for crimes committed in Ivory Coast. He was accused in 2006 of encouraging attacks against U.N. workers in the country.

At least 3,000 Ivorians were killed during the post-election conflict.

Topics: Laurent Gbagbo, Ivory Coast
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...