UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Iran soldiers on with enrichment

  |
 
Published: Sept. 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM

TEHRAN, Sept. 30 (UPI) -- Nuclear enrichment at the underground Fordo nuclear facility near the holy city of Qom is ongoing without interruption, an Iranian lawmaker said Monday.

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani vowed to accelerate talks to de-escalate the dispute related to Iran's nuclear program. The International Atomic Energy Agency said there may be a military dimension to certain aspects of Iran's nuclear research though Iranian officials said weaponization is against their principles.

U.S. President Barack Obama told Rouhani in a phone call last week he respected Iran's right to peaceful nuclear research but insisted on concessions to prevent weapons development.

Esmayeel Kosari, a member of Iran's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, told the semi-official Fars News Agency researchers were working on enriching uranium to a level of 20 percent purity.

"The centrifuges at Fordo [near Qom] have been installed completely and the facility is in full operation and without any problem or deficiency," he said Monday.

Enrichment beyond 20 percent is considered a breakthrough on the path to a nuclear weapon.

Rouhani said Iran's nuclear rights would garner more respect if his country were able to establish a better relationship with its counterparts in the international community.

Topics: Barack Obama
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...