UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Blix: No military option for Syrian WMD

  |
 
Published: Sept. 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 27 (UPI) -- Former U.N. weapons inspection chief Hans Blix said there was likely no serious option for a military strike against Syria's chemical weapons stockpiles.

CNN reported Friday it had seen a draft resolution before the U.N. Security Council on Syria's chemical weapons program. It calls on the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, based in The Hague, Netherlands, to verify whether or not Syria is meeting its disclosure obligations. The language in the draft, however, does not call for the use of military force, something backed by the U.S. government.

U.N. weapons inspectors in Syria confirmed the chemical nerve agent sarin was used in an August attack on a suburb in Damascus. U.S. President Barack Obama had said the use of chemical weapons would be a "red line" prompting a harsh response.

Hans Blix, former chief weapons inspector in Iraq, told al-Arabiya there was likely no serious consideration for a military strike on Syria's weapons cache.

"I don't think you want to attack a military store of chemical weapons because it might spread and might have casualties and we don't want that," he said in remarks published Friday. "So I don't think there was much of a serious idea, [or] intention of attacking the chemical [weapons stock]."

The OPCW said last week it was assessing a preliminary weapons disclosure from the Syrian government. U.N. weapons inspectors returned to the country earlier this week. Inspectors are not mandated to assess blame for any chemical weapons attack.

Topics: Hans Blix, Barack Obama
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 16
2013 Presidents Cup played at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio
View Caption
Former U.S. President George W. Bush (C) points to the crowd as he stands on the first tee box at the 2013 Presidents Cup at Muirfield Village Golf Club in Dublin, Ohio on October 3, 2013. UPI/Brian Kersey
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...