UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

DRC hampered by outside aggression

  |
 
Published: Sept. 26, 2013 at 12:52 PM

UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 26 (UPI) -- National development is "hypothetical" in the Democratic Republic of Congo when faced with threats from external aggression, the president said.

Fighting between rebels with the March 23 Movement and government forces, backed by U.N. peacekeepers, has displaced more than 100,000 people in the DRC. Rwanda was accused of backing some of the rebel forces fighting in eastern DRC, an allegation the government denies.

Madnodje Mounoubai, spokesman for the U.S. Stabilization Mission in DRC, said last week at least 80,000 people have been forced to flee because of a new outbreak of violence in the country's eastern provinces from rival rebel elements.

DRC President Joseph Kabila told delegates at the 68th session of the U.N. General Assembly his country's development was threatened because of the national security situation.

"Development is simply hypothetical ... when peace is breached because of external aggression," he said in his comments translated from French.

Rwanda has said allegations of supporting M23 were misguided, noting many of the problems in DRC require political, not military, solutions.

Kabila said Wednesday, however, his country had opened its borders to Rwandans only to have parts of its country "crushed under bombs" during rebel conflict.

Topics: Joseph Kabila
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...