UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Bahrain says it's a target of smear campaign

  |
 
Published: Sept. 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM

MANAMA, Bahrain, Sept. 26 (UPI) -- Bahrain's reputation on the international stage has been tarnished by reporting from a hostile media, the government's spokeswoman said Thursday.

Bahraini spokeswoman Samira Ibrahim bin Rajab said the government won't be "handcuffed" by a hostile media campaign, the official Bahrain News Agency reports.

The Persian Gulf kingdom was the subject of frequent travel warnings from a British government concerned about the possibility of violent protests in the country. U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said last week the arrest of opposition leader Khalil al-Marzooq on terrorism charges suggested Bahrain wasn't serious about reform.

Dozens of people were killed during an uprising in 2011. Bahrain said it is committed to reforms outlined by an independent commission probing the government's response to the protests.

Rajab said the official news agency was tasked with countering misleading campaigns in the international media.

Bahraini Ambassador to the United States Houda Nonoo said Wednesday she was frustrated U.S. President Barack Obama compared her country to Syria during his speech before the U.N. General Assembly this week.

"Bahrain has provided unparalleled opportunities to its citizens regardless of gender, ethnicity or religion," she said in a statement. "This is not a well-worn public relations cliche, but the reality that thousands of Bahrainis live every day."

Topics: Barack Obama
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...