UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

U.S. issues rights warning to Bahrain

  |
 
Published: Sept. 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

WASHINGTON, Sept. 20 (UPI) -- Bahrain has been called on to take its commitments to political reform seriously following the arrest of an opposition leader, the U.S. State Department said.

Bahrain's government confirmed the arrest of Khalil al-Marzooq, a deputy leader from the opposition al-Wefaq organization. He was accused of inciting violence and supporting terrorism through a speech he delivered last week.

The government stripped dozens of political activists of their citizenship, including at least one member of al-Wefaq. Bahrain blames the opposition group for unrest in the Persian Gulf country.

Dozens of people were killed during an uprising in 2011. Bahrain said it is committed to reforms outlined by an independent commission probing the government's response to the protests.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said recent developments in Bahrain suggest it's not serious about reform.

She said in a statement Thursday Washington "notes with concern" restrictions placed on political and civil rights in the country.

"We also note with concern the detention of opposition leader Khalil al-Marzooq," she said.

The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office has warned of the potential for violence in Bahrain every Friday for at least the past three weeks.

The official Bahrain News Agency had no reports of violence or demonstrations Friday.

Topics: Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...