UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Conflict unsettled in Myanmar

  |
 
Published: Sept. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

NAYPYITAW, Myanmar, Sept. 20 (UPI) -- More than 3,500 people remain displaced from their homes six months after a major outbreak of sectarian violence in Myanmar, a U.N. organization said.

The Myanmar government declared a state of emergency March 22 following clashes between Muslims and Buddhists in Meiktila. At least 32 people died in the violence and another 39 were injured.

Rioters later set fire to dozens of homes and religious buildings in Yamethin, about 30 miles from Meiktila. The U.N. Human Rights Council responded to the incident by saying religious violence in the country was "troublesome."

The United Nations' Integrated Regional Information Networks reported Friday, citing unnamed district officials in Meiktila, there were more than 12,000 people affected by the conflict initially and 3,951 people are still displaced six months after the state of emergency.

Tomas Ojea Quintana, U.N. special envoy to Myanmar, said last month the country has made several positive changes to its human rights record

Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, received international praise for political reforms that began with general elections in 2010. Quintana said he had lingering concerns over rivalries between ethnic and religious groups.

The envoy said he was unable to survey Meiktila in the Mandalay region during his August visit because his vehicle was overrun by protesters.

Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Special Reports Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
For some reason, McDonald's drive-thru employees don't like it when you show up wearing no pants...
Final assignment from dearly departed teacher. Uh, teacher, we're gonna need some extra time with...
Sir Bob Geldof, former Boomtown Rats front man says, All humans will die before 2030. So Dead-Aid,...
And those Hollywood nights / In those Hollywood hills / It was looking so right / It was giving...
Cute 25-year-old bartender gets her best tip yet: a Keno ticket worth $17,500. "The reaction (in...
Apparently the SEALs are "essential" employees because they were hard at work today in Libya and...