The International Criminal Court said the case against Kenyan Vice President William Ruto and national broadcast director Joshua Arap Sang is scheduled to begin Tuesday at The Hague.
"The hearings will be held from Sept. 10 to Oct. 4 and from Oct. 14 to Nov. 1, in the presence of the accused," the court said in a statement Saturday. "Mr. Ruto and Mr. Sang are accused of crimes against humanity (murder, deportation or forcible transfer of population and persecution) allegedly committed in Kenya in the context of the 2007-2008 post-election violence."
Kenyan lawmakers last week passed a resolution to break ties with the ICC. Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta needs to sign off on the measure for it to take force. He faces similar charges at The Hague in November.
Daniel Bekele, director of African programs at Human Rights Watch said Kenyan lawmakers in 2010 voted to withdraw from the ICC, but former President Mwai Kibaki didn't give his consent to the motion.
"Every time the ICC process inches forward, the country's political establishment scrambles furiously to block the way," Bekele said in a statement Monday.
The ICC said last week's decision has no bearing on cases already on its books.
Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman for 'Batman vs. Superman'
Exploding whale video goes viral on Internet